Conceived in a dressing room that fateful afternoon to the lupine teenager Scott Howard and an aspiring actress named Pamela Wells, we are the illegitimate, though extremely proud, Sons of Teen Wolf. And this is our movie blog.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Land of the Lost is a Lot of Fun

I vaguely remember the original Land of the Lost tv show for really no other reason than those scary anthropomorphic reptiles the Sleestaks haunting my dreams by slowly chasing after me, succeeding in acting as a metaphor for my eventual death...not sure when it will happen, it may take years to get there, but the Sleestak will never stop searching for you and eventually you'll be dead. Little snippets of my cinematic mind remember them coming awake from their sleeping chambers after a character made too much noise or something, and you could guarantee I'd have nightmares for days after.


I really did enjoy the movie rendition of the tv show. Yeah, Will Farrell and that Kenny Powers guy are doing their same old schtick, but it's enjoyable. Actually, Kenny Powers is really toned down here but I love Eastbound and Down so it's always a delight to see Danny McBride. I had never seen Anna Friel in anything before but knew who she was and, yeah, I have a little crush on her now. She's super cute. I also saw some paparazzi photos of her sunbathing on the Riviera one time and they were awesome.



The Today Show co-host Matt Lauer makes a couple cameos here as Will Farrell's antagonist (or perhaps it's Farrell who is Lauer's), and he gives Farrell the beating I think we all wish he would've given Tom Cruise when that Scientologist freakazoid berated him for not knowing what that cult/church knows about psychology. We all saw how Lauer just sat there and took it like a little girl. Soooo unfortunate because someone needs to give that cult member a beatdown but here anyway Lauer as himself can push his weight around a little, all under the safety umbrella of a fake reality. It was mildly funny. Much more enjoyable and preferable are the scenes with the mssing link-like primate Chaka, played by Jorma Toccane. Some funny stuff there. He loves boobs and the simple primative things in life, like not being eaten by dinosaurs or Sleestaks.



All and all some enjoyable stuff here. Yeah, not the greatest movie on the planet, but you sorta know what you're getting into when you sit down to it. Farrell, like that skinny dorky guy Michael Cera, is always Will Ferrell. You know what you're going to get with him, regardless of who the character is, it's still Will Ferrell and all his mannerisms and everything that comes with hiring him for your movie. And when I watched this I was definitely looking forward to a Ferrell movie. Land of the Lost doesn't disappoint.

No comments: